Despite recent snow flurries, winter is winding down. As we head into the sun and the spring, it’s important to remember to protect our skin from sun damage. Here are my top five tips for protecting against and caring for sun damaged skin.
1. Since we’re on the run all the time, use a physical block like TD and Zink. They work immediately with contact to the skin so you have to wait before you head to the car or to the beach (e.g. any BORBA SPF product).
2. Look for a tri-spectrum product (like the Advanced Aging SPF 45 and Hand Cream SPF 25) that incorporates the full spectrum (UVA, UVB and UVC) for carbon protection from the ozone and environmental factors to help fight against burning rays all in one step. Be certain to use a product that has matting ingredients to keep skin looking healthy but not greasy (e.g. BORBA Clarifying cotton).
3. Chill your aloe vera, or anti-inflammatory moisturizer or cream in the refrigerator for an hour before you apply it on your skin. The sheer coolness will help against the sensation of burning and will help to calm redness and work to help repair skin (chill any BORBA SPF for further sun protection post sun exposure).
4. Keep skin hydrated. A mobile atomizer is a welcome skin quencher (e.g. BORBA atomizer). Continuously spritzing or misting the skin will allow it to absorb and help lock in the moisture to re-balance itself.
5. Stay out of extreme temperatures. Going into a super refrigerated environment after a sunburn could potentially shock skin. Ease skin to a comfortable temperature with gradual steps. Cold compresses are a wonderful relief to high temperature skin, (see Tip #3).